Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P

Neji's death was ****ING HORRIBLE and the worst death in the series.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Neji's death was ****ING HORRIBLE and the worst death in the series.

Post by Twin Steps on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Neji got killed by a weak attack that he should be able to deal with, that makes his death look contrived and forced and makes Neji look weak.
He died from a wooden needle, that Naruto could easily have tanked
Heck in Part 1, GENIN Neji survived worse from Kidomaru

Neji also didn't get any development at all in part two and the first panel he appears in after a long time, he dies. This means Kishimoto only pulled Neji out of nowhere to kill him and use him as a plot device/fodder. The problem here is it is super obvious and that shouldn't be the case.

Also when you say "people asked for deaths", I never asked for more deaths because I'm smart and know that killing undeveloped characters means nothing to the readers.

he died meaninglessly to a random attack in the same chapter he just showed up. since he didn't get any development for he most of part 2, he should have died in the fight with kidomaru which was good and beautiful. and also, much more emotionally impactful.

It was a very weak death, no meaning at all. It was completely meaningless to me.

Why kill off Neji now, when he contributed absolutely nothing to the plot after the time that he should have died, when he was facing off against Kidomaru? That would have been the perfect death scene for him. Instead, here Neji is, dying off like a fly after being utterly miniscule to the storyline since he was saved by Kishimoto's editors.

Yes, this is war. And people are just supposed to die, without meaning or reason. But that doesn't mean that Naruto ceases to be a story with events that have impact to them.

If I put myself in Naruto's shoes, then maybe there would be some meaning. But as a reader of a story, it was such a weak death because he was just reintroduced into the story to die.

It's not the manner of death that I'm complaining about; I don't care if he died not being able to tank the spike. It's the fact that I can put any other fodder character in that exact position (Kiba and Shino come to mind) and that would produce the exact same effect.

As a character, Neji deserved better. That's why I believe him dying in Part 1 had more meaning. It was HIS death, and his death alone.

In fact, Kishi could have added the bird scene, the sign disappearing, and his internal monologue about freedom right after the Kidoumaru battle, and it would have been more fitting.

It was clearly meant to have impact, but it didn't at all. Which is why I find the claims about this war now being "realistic" incredibly stupid. That didn't cement a single thing about it. He just died, that's it. Yet it was obviously supposed to have impact, but after his first "death"...eh.

at least kishi could have give 1-3 chapters to hype more the hyugas then build up slowly the sacrifice of neji , for example neji could have died after an exhausting fight reflecting a bijuudama which only him can reflect and if he doesnt the alliance is dead.

The way he died was random,anticlimatic and fodderish and really bad for his char, im not against deaths if they are made properly with death speeches,drama and alot of hype , this is a shounen not a seinen.
Let's look at some GOOD deaths.... they all have two things in common

Zabuza: Major fight and flashbacks before death
Itachi: Major fight and flashbacks before death
Jiriaya: Major fight and flashbacks before death
Deidara: Major fight and flashbacks before death
Kimimaru: Major fight and flashbacks before death
Kisame: Major fight and flashbacks before death

I can think of AT LEAST THREE scenarios when Neji could have been used that would have helped in improving his character,

1)Kage summit: Neji could have gone with Naruto to meet Ay, you know, the ****ING leader of the country that turned his life to hell! It ****ing baffles me that Kishimoto decided to have Yamato reference the whole Hyuga-Cloud situation and not a Hyuga themselves. What a load of ****ing bullshit.

2)VS Juubi: When Kakashi showed up to protect Naruto from Obito, Neji should have been the one to tag along with him rather than Gai. Why? Because he was going to ****ING die soon so He should have been given a major fight JUST like Nagato, Jiraiaya etc.......... right? Oh wait, Kishimoto pulled that death out of his ass.....

3)Why not give him some time fighting in the war? Have him fight some edos other than ****ing zetsu *****es. Have him fight someone like Pakura, the swordsmen of the mist, Gari, Toroi, or why not have him fight Deidara rather than having deidara sit on his ass the whole time? Or have Neji fight Kakuzu rather than having Kakuzu get owned by two ****INF FODDERS. WHY ****ING RESSURECT SHINOBI IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA USE THEM?!? There were SO many unused edos that were left unused in this war that could have been used to fight Neji. Or better yet, why not have him face off against his ****ING DEAD FATHER?

I don't understand why he had to die so suddenly. I mean, sure the whole thing was kind of touching to me because he's one of my favorite characters but I felt as though he died for no ****ing reason.
I just think it's horrible that Kishi tried to bridge part 1 Neji and part 2 Neji yet it just didn't work because Kishi hasn't properly written Neji as a character for it to work! We all KNOW this deep down!

What has Neji shown the reader to validate his "genius" status before this chapter?! This is like if Samui popped up next chapter, died, then started preaching to Naruto how he has to save everyone while Bee constantly stated "But but but...Samui's has the most potential in Kumo..."
but many people including myself have been pretty pissed at Kishi on how he started strong with Neji and the Hyuuga in the beginning of Naruto and turn him into possible fodder now....

this death would have been immensely better if Kishimoto had actually given some panel time to Neji and the other rookies after the timeskip. It would have been that much more impactful. But, Kishimoto kinda just put all the Konoha Rookies on the back burner for part II and gave them little to no development. They specifically were the reasons I started watching the anime and eventually got started reading the manga. Shino, Kiba, Lee, Neji, Choji, Shikamaru, Sasuke (before he went emo), and Ino. These characters were AWESOME. And aside from Shikamaru's team, none of them got any real development in the second half of the manga, and I've stopped caring about them as a reader. And that's sad.

I believe it is CHEAP for Kishi to try to convey a theme he set in part 1 and shown no concurrence with in part 2. In part 1, it was established that Neji is a genius. HOW THE HELL HAS NEJI BEEN ABLE TO DISPLAY THAT HE IS SUCH A BADASS/GENIUS IN PART 2?!?!?

He hasn't. We're asked to suspend belief and imagine Neji has always been this genius since part 1. **** THAT! Neji was clearly used as a plot device...an obvious, rushed plot device and that's why readers such as myself hated the death. If you're going to randomly kill Neji, then just kill him! Trying to make Neji seem like such an important figure to Naruto now is just stupid...****ING STUPID. Naruto & Neji NEVER had this sort of bond that Kishimoto so DESPERATLY tried to show in 614. No, the only person he has this sort of relation with was Sasuke, and maybe Gaara. It's even worse when you realize that there has been multiple opportunities for Neji to discuss with Naruto about how much he's "saved him" and how he's "similar to Sasuke". Ex: When the rookies confronted Naruto

When the alliance showed up in all its greatness. Neji wasn't even on a panel. The times we did see him he was getting completely overwhelmed and his "genius" wasn't being portrayed at all. More like mocked and fodderized. Then suddenly he drops from the sky in the last chapter only to die a few pages later. It would have been nice if he had at the very least died in the next chapter after doing a few cool things this round. Whatever the reason, It made me laugh and say wtf?

And it's not like his actual death was handled any better. Hinata refers his dying words. No one gives a **** about NaruHina right now. Yes, I was happy as a NaruHina fan at the NaruHina interaction in that chapter, but I'd throw all that away for some legit well done death flashbacks like ALL THE OTHER half-decent deaths had. We get Lee crying, and then Gai tells him to man up. ****. YOU. MIGHT. GAI. You stupid piece of shit. You'd never say something like that if that was Lee.....We were all expecting Gai to at least show some sadness, but NOTHING. And then what? 3 panels of Lee thinking about a conversation they had about Neji and him being rivals? Like I said about Kishimoto trying to FORCE a bond between Neji & Naruto that DOESN'T EXIST, he's trying to FORCE a RIVALRY between Lee and Neji that hasn't been brought up in the past 450+ chapters.
Twin Steps

Back to top Go down

Re: Neji's death was ****ING HORRIBLE and the worst death in the series.

Post by Batokusanagi on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 pm

I'll give you that his character didn't receive enough development in part 2, but his death was by no means meaningless. He freaking saved the hero of the story and his cousin from an attack that was stated to be too fast by even Hiashi.
It was impactful enough to pretty much stop the alliane on their tracks and get Naruto to almost give up Obito, has it not been for Hinata's speech, partly using Neji's words and actions.
Batokusanagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Irielo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 pm

And don't forget. The Hyuuga protected Naruto at first. I think they were runing out of chakra. And the only way to protect Naruto was to stand in front of him like Hinata did.

But Neji jumped in and saved both. I don't find it "weak" or "meaningless".

About his character development, I hope there will be a flashback (2 chapters) coming from all the rookies which will show who Neji was. That would be like a kind of tribute to the hero he actually is.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolChels on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:36 pm

^ I have to agree that it wasn't so bad, he died in an honorable way saving Naruto and Hinata and it wasn't for nothing.
CoolChels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Wow Twin Steps for once I have to disagree with you on this one, Neji died in an honourable way, to save the hero and his cousin, in my opinion his character development peaked in that moment, he went from the main house hating jerk to a man that would give his life for the main house, he went from someone who wouldn't hesitate to kill Hinata to saving her life along with the one she loves.

Neji died a proud member of the Hyuuga family following his father's footsteps, my biggest hope is that he doesn't get Rinne tensei, that would just cheapen his character development.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubbles on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Yeah, I feel Neji died honorably. His death was by no means terrible to me. If he is rinne tensei'd I'll be mad. I'm a Neji fan and hate that he died (Still can't see Neji without feeling mopey), but bringing him back would definitely cheapen his death for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Twin Steps on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:09 am

I understand he died honorably, I don't deny that. But from a story point of view it made NO sense.

He did NOTHING worth mentioning in P2
He showed NO feats for being a Jonin, only hype.
He BARELY had any interaction with Naruto OR Lee.
He didn't show anything that would still make him a "genius"
And then in 614, Kishi tries to cram all that into one chapter. He TRIES to make Neji seem like a "genius" when he hasn't even done anything special or different than Part 1 Neji. He so desperately TRIES to portray a Neji-Naruto bond akin to the Naruto-Sasuke bond and it fails SO BAD.So damn bad. Why? Because aside from 559 & the Kazekage rescue arc, those two haven't interacted AT ALL in part 2. Their bond was never shown. Same could be said about Neji's rivalry with Lee, never shown for 450+ chapters.
Twin Steps

Back to top Go down

Post by Irielo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:26 am

Twin Steps wrote:I understand he died honorably, I don't deny that. But from a story point of view it made  NO sense.

He did NOTHING worth mentioning in P2
And then in 614, Kishi tries to cram all that into one chapter. He TRIES to make Neji seem like a "genius" when he hasn't even done anything special or different than Part 1 Neji. He so desperately TRIES to portray a Neji-Naruto bond akin to the Naruto-Sasuke bond and it fails SO BAD.So damn bad. Why? Because aside from 559 & the Kazekage rescue arc, those two haven't interacted AT ALL in part 2. Their bond was never shown. Same could be said about Neji's rivalry with Lee, never shown for 450+ chapters.

That's why there could be a flashback coming from all the rookies about Neji on 2 chapters. That would be like a tribute at the same time. Moreover there are a lot of interesting characters who would deserve a proper development but just imagine the amount of work behind it. If the mangaka had to develop every interesting character, it would take a lifetime.
Irielo

Back to top Go down

Post by racefan1992 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 am

His character was already developed. aka in part 1 when Naruto be him and "showed him the light." Kishi was just waiting to use Neji in this way.

It wasn't cheap and weak. He died protecting a family memeber and the person that family member loves (he practitly shipped NH on his death bed).

He died with a smile on his face. I'm happy he went out that way. Doing what his father did and finally understood his fathers passing.

I do not mean to cheapen his passing by saying he shipped NH but his words of "Naruto, Hinata is willing to die for you......that is why...........your life" sort of gets me that way.
racefan1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Batokusanagi on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 am

Twin Steps wrote:He did NOTHING worth mentioning in P2
Except saving Naruto and Hinata...

Except repelling Juubi's tail with Hiashi.

I'll give you that, but it really doesn't matter. He BARELY interacted with his parents, but they're still incredibly important to him. Quality > quantity.

Again, repelling juubi's tail with kaiten (a very high level technique). And who cares about feats (except character vs character match-up enthusiasts), freaking Naruto called him a genius. Isn't that enough?

He so desperately TRIES to portray a Neji-Naruto bond akin to the Naruto-Sasuke bond and it fails SO BAD.So damn bad. Why? Because aside from 559 & the Kazekage rescue arc, those two haven't interacted AT ALL in part 2. Their bond was never shown. Same could be said about Neji's rivalry with Lee, never shown for 450+ chapters.
Kishi never tried to make Naruto's and Neji's bond similar to Naruto's and Sasuke's bond, that's just not true. What was emphasized before Neji died was how Naruto changed his way of thinking and in a way the Hyuuga clan as well considering things seem to be different after the time skip. In that sense their bond was deep and meaningful and it's not similar to Naruto and Sasuke.
Batokusanagi

Back to top Go down

Post by eromreven on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:02 am

I'm with Twin Steps on this one. Neji deserves a bit more coverage. I think the death was great, a final defining character moment, but it could have been better. It could have shown a lot more buildup. It's one of the reasons I like the anime. When the manga falls short on certain things, it comes along with a filler that usually improves the subject matter at hand. Like Hinata's fight with Pain.
eromreven

Back to top Go down

Post by Irielo on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:23 am

51-mustang wrote:Wow Twin Steps for once I have to disagree with you on this one, Neji died in an honourable way, to save the hero and his cousin, in my opinion his character development peaked in that moment, he went from the main house hating jerk to a man that would give his life for the main house, he went from someone who wouldn't hesitate to kill Hinata to saving her life along with the one she loves.

Neji died a proud member of the Hyuuga family following his father's footsteps, my biggest hope is that he doesn't get Rinne tensei, that would just cheapen his character development.

That's a very good point and I would like to add something. Neji during the chunin exams, did not show any respect for both Hinata and Naruto. He was considering them like failures. That was something known but not something always shown, unfortunately, that Neji was a genius. Even Naruto complimented him when he did kaiten.

But the most important thing, is that he, the genius, changed his opinion and his feelings about those he was not respecting and those he hated to the extent to sacrifice his life for those. So, what he did goes beyond his fighting abilities. He could transform all the bad energy which was inside of him into a positive energy which led him to the ultimate sign of love: the sacrifice.

Irielo

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexdhamp on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:46 am

Even as an avid Neji fan the only thing that really bugged me about his truly honorable death(besides the fact that he died at all...but I won't go there...) was how little of a lead up it had. Kishi gave him no foreshadowing and no last great showcasing like he did with other characters of note when he wrote them out of the story.

Hiruzen, Jiraiya, even Asuma all got to show what they were truly capable of before they bit the proverbial bullet...yet, Kishi gave none of this same courtesy toward Neji. Instead he gets a lackluster showing in the war before he makes the ultimate sacrifice. It leaves many Neji fan's like myself and Twin Steps, here, with a bitter taste in our collective mouths...well, at least it does me.

Something I disagree really with is the idea that Neji or Naruto should have been able to tank the "wooden needle" attacks. Sorry, Twin Steps, but you're downgrading just how lethal these Mokuton attacks are...or what exactly they do. Or the fact that Naruto was out of Kurama chakra so no miraculous healing...even then, it's debatable. Those Mokuton spears weren't something to laugh at if you notice what they do after they enter a human body...
Alexdhamp

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:58 am

^ I agree with your Neji's death lacked build-up statement. I actually think that's the reason Kishimoto might've been holding back on major deaths during the war: because he didn't have the time to develop them the way he likes to. But he could only hold them off for so long. It's a war after all, and sadly, he went for Neji. :/

FOR MY TUMBLR CLICK HERE
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum