Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P

Naruto's feelings

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where do Naruto's feelings currently reside?

9% 9% 
[ 9 ]
14% 14% 
[ 14 ]
74% 74% 
[ 73 ]
3% 3% 
[ 3 ]
 
Total Votes : 99

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Batokusanagi on Sun May 19, 2013 11:14 pm

51-mustang wrote:^plus he has realized that there was this quiet girl who loves him, and has always loved him this whole time, even during the confession it really opened his eyes to see the shyest girl in the village show an amazing amount of courage. Even though feelings for Sakura were never going to be returned it didn't stop him from trying, but it took him a long time to realize that Sakura would never return his feeling, 470 chapters is a long time, but it was worth it to see him mature to the point where it shows that he most likely no longer has a crush on Sakura

I once said this, it takes courage to confess your love to someone, it takes even greater courage to confess your love to someone during a situation which is deemed deadly.

He's definitely realizing it, but if he wasn't; Neji (RIP) told him straight up. It certainly took him long enough to get over Sakura, but I don't think it took him that long.
avatar
Batokusanagi


Posts : 525
Gender : Male
Location : Fantasia

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Mustang on Sun May 19, 2013 11:34 pm

470 chapter is certainly a long time especially when Sakura had her chances in that 470, and then destroyed any chances of NS in 469 and 470.

my biggest hope is that Neji was the one that seems to push NaruHina to another level with his involvement between the Naruto and Hinata, isn't revived after this war, he died to help push NaruHina to becoming canon. even though he is one of my favourite characters he died on a high, saving both Naruto and Hinata. he also supported NaruHina as well and he knew that there was something going on between the two as well due to the look at his eyes/it's in your eyes moment.


_________________
the endgame pairing was there ever any doubt
avatar
Mustang


Posts : 2141
Gender : Male
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Batokusanagi on Mon May 20, 2013 12:11 am

51-mustang wrote:470 chapter is certainly a long time especially when Sakura had her chances in that 470, and then destroyed any chances of NS in 469 and 470.

my biggest hope is that Neji was the one that seems to push NaruHina to another level with his involvement between the Naruto and Hinata, isn't revived after this war, he died to help push NaruHina to becoming canon. even though he is one of my favourite characters he died on a high, saving both Naruto and Hinata. he also supported NaruHina as well and he knew that there was something going on between the two as well due to the look at his eyes/it's in your eyes moment.

I meant that he realized things before Sakura's confession. I dont' think that Naruto, being as dumb as he can be sometimes, would still pursue (or even try) Sakura after she cries to him, begging him to bring Sasuke back.
As for Neji, I prefer to say that he died to protect Naruto and Hinata. "To help push NH" cheapens his death.
avatar
Batokusanagi


Posts : 525
Gender : Male
Location : Fantasia

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Mustang on Mon May 20, 2013 12:27 am

Yeah that's a good point should be a little more careful what I say sometimes (scratches back of his head)

_________________
the endgame pairing was there ever any doubt
avatar
Mustang


Posts : 2141
Gender : Male
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Aelita on Mon May 20, 2013 1:38 am

I agree that Hinata's confession has some influence on Naruto's fading feelings for Sakura, but I don't think it was the main or only component. That implies Naruto's just hopping from one girl to another. Narusaku had its own closure that was independent from Naruhina in my opinion.

I said I feel like Naruto's feelings for Sakura were at one point more than a crush because "crush" implies that his feelings were superficial. As in a 'Sakura-chan's so pretty but I don't know much about her besides her appearance' kind of superficial infatuation. However, this simply isn't true. Naruto and Sakura were close and he genuinely cared for her. Now do I think he was in love with her on the same level that Sakura loved Sasuke or Hinata loves Naruto? No. But he had legitimate feelings for her.

However, Naruto was the only one of the big 3 to show signs of possibly moving on with his acceptance of Sakura's love for Sasuke. His acceptance of this also meant the acceptance of that fact that Sakura probably would never love him and they'd probably wouldn't get together because of that. He knew that his feelings were unrequited and that's why they pained him. I also want to point out that whenever Naruto's feelings for Sakura are directly addressed, there is always a follow-up pointing out how they can't be together because of Sakura's love for Sasuke. Naruto has been in acceptance of this since the hospital scene in Part I (and re-affirmed during the Promise of a Lifetime). However, that doesn't mean his feelings are just going to disappear. Despite knowing they couldn't be together, Naruto still held lingering feelings for Sakura as revealed by Sai's flashback. However, Sai's flashback took place before Hinata's confession and Sakura's false confession.

I feel like Sakura's false confession was the final nail in the coffin in regards to Naruto's feelings for Sakura. In the beginning of the confession Naruto's expression looks like he had heard something he's wanted to hear for a long time, but his expression quickly becomes doubtful as he starts to see through her lie. Naruto was forced to look at why it wouldn't work out between him and Sakura. I also would like to point out that if Naruto had accepted this fake confession, they would be together, but Naruto didn't want to be in a relationship that was built on a lie. It forced him to realize that he and Sakura just weren't meant to be together because Sakura would always be in love with someone else, and that would always overshadow any romantic relationship they had together. And at this point any lingering feelings he once held, he was forced to let go of. Sakura and Naruto will always be close, but only as the best of friends.

Hinata's confession played a role because it helped him realize that there are other options out there. And just because it didn't work out between one girl he liked, doesn't mean he should give up on love all together. There is a girl out there who will love him for him. I feel like by chapter 559 Naruto started to show that he's been developing feelings for Hinata. He cheers her up when she's being hard on herself and thinks back to when Hinata rushed to his aid during his battle with Pain. I feel like in this instance he was admiring Hinata's inner strength and bravery (there's even an implication that he's previously been thinking about the confession off panel).

Long post haha, I've had a feeling Naruhina was going to be endgame since the "proud failure" speech (the cover of volume 64 only reaffirmed this feeling), however I'm just trying not to be biased.
avatar
Aelita


Posts : 377
Gender : Female
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by kagome1991 on Fri May 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Aelita wrote:I agree that Hinata's confession has some influence on Naruto's fading feelings for Sakura, but I don't think it was the main or only component. That implies Naruto's just hopping from one girl to another. Narusaku had its own closure that was independent from Naruhina in my opinion.

I said I feel like Naruto's feelings for Sakura were at one point more than a crush because "crush" implies that his feelings were superficial. As in a 'Sakura-chan's so pretty but I don't know much about her besides her appearance' kind of superficial infatuation. However, this simply isn't true. Naruto and Sakura were close and he genuinely cared for her. Now do I think he was in love with her on the same level that Sakura loved Sasuke or Hinata loves Naruto? No. But he had legitimate feelings for her.

However, Naruto was the only one of the big 3 to show signs of possibly moving on with his acceptance of Sakura's love for Sasuke. His acceptance of this also meant the acceptance of that fact that Sakura probably would never love him and they'd probably wouldn't get together because of that. He knew that his feelings were unrequited and that's why they pained him. I also want to point out that whenever Naruto's feelings for Sakura are directly addressed, there is always a follow-up pointing out how they can't be together because of Sakura's love for Sasuke. Naruto has been in acceptance of this since the hospital scene in Part I (and re-affirmed during the Promise of a Lifetime). However, that doesn't mean his feelings are just going to disappear. Despite knowing they couldn't be together, Naruto still held lingering feelings for Sakura as revealed by Sai's flashback. However, Sai's flashback took place before Hinata's confession and Sakura's false confession.

I feel like Sakura's false confession was the final nail in the coffin in regards to Naruto's feelings for Sakura. In the beginning of the confession Naruto's expression looks like he had heard something he's wanted to hear for a long time, but his expression quickly becomes doubtful as he starts to see through her lie. Naruto was forced to look at why it wouldn't work out between him and Sakura. I also would like to point out that if Naruto had accepted this fake confession, they would be together, but Naruto didn't want to be in a relationship that was built on a lie. It forced him to realize that he and Sakura just weren't meant to be together because Sakura would always be in love with someone else, and that would always overshadow any romantic relationship they had together. And at this point any lingering feelings he once held, he was forced to let go of. Sakura and Naruto will always be close, but only as the best of friends.

Hinata's confession played a role because it helped him realize that there are other options out there. And just because it didn't work out between one girl he liked, doesn't mean he should give up on love all together. There is a girl out there who will love him for him. I feel like by chapter 559 Naruto started to show that he's been developing feelings for Hinata. He cheers her up when she's being hard on herself and thinks back to when Hinata rushed to his aid during his battle with Pain. I feel like in this instance he was admiring Hinata's inner strength and bravery (there's even an implication that he's previously been thinking about the confession off panel).

Long post haha, I've had a feeling Naruhina was going to be endgame since the "proud failure" speech (the cover of volume 64 only reaffirmed this feeling), however I'm just trying not to be biased.

Well you're doing a good job trying not to be biased even though what you're saying makes loads of sense and I agree with it. I pretty much figured that Naruto accepted that Sakura would only love Sasuke after the hospital scene back in part I and how she was practically begging him to bring Sasuke back to her. I'm just glad he was finally able to let go.
avatar
kagome1991


Posts : 614
Gender : Female
Location : Somewhere in the world

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Alasteir on Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Aelita wrote:I agree that Hinata's confession has some influence on Naruto's fading feelings for Sakura, but I don't think it was the main or only component. That implies Naruto's just hopping from one girl to another. Narusaku had its own closure that was independent from Naruhina in my opinion.

I said I feel like Naruto's feelings for Sakura were at one point more than a crush because "crush" implies that his feelings were superficial. As in a 'Sakura-chan's so pretty but I don't know much about her besides her appearance' kind of superficial infatuation. However, this simply isn't true. Naruto and Sakura were close and he genuinely cared for her. Now do I think he was in love with her on the same level that Sakura loved Sasuke or Hinata loves Naruto? No. But he had legitimate feelings for her.

However, Naruto was the only one of the big 3 to show signs of possibly moving on with his acceptance of Sakura's love for Sasuke. His acceptance of this also meant the acceptance of that fact that Sakura probably would never love him and they'd probably wouldn't get together because of that. He knew that his feelings were unrequited and that's why they pained him. I also want to point out that whenever Naruto's feelings for Sakura are directly addressed, there is always a follow-up pointing out how they can't be together because of Sakura's love for Sasuke. Naruto has been in acceptance of this since the hospital scene in Part I (and re-affirmed during the Promise of a Lifetime). However, that doesn't mean his feelings are just going to disappear. Despite knowing they couldn't be together, Naruto still held lingering feelings for Sakura as revealed by Sai's flashback. However, Sai's flashback took place before Hinata's confession and Sakura's false confession.

I feel like Sakura's false confession was the final nail in the coffin in regards to Naruto's feelings for Sakura. In the beginning of the confession Naruto's expression looks like he had heard something he's wanted to hear for a long time, but his expression quickly becomes doubtful as he starts to see through her lie. Naruto was forced to look at why it wouldn't work out between him and Sakura. I also would like to point out that if Naruto had accepted this fake confession, they would be together, but Naruto didn't want to be in a relationship that was built on a lie. It forced him to realize that he and Sakura just weren't meant to be together because Sakura would always be in love with someone else, and that would always overshadow any romantic relationship they had together. And at this point any lingering feelings he once held, he was forced to let go of. Sakura and Naruto will always be close, but only as the best of friends.

Hinata's confession played a role because it helped him realize that there are other options out there. And just because it didn't work out between one girl he liked, doesn't mean he should give up on love all together. There is a girl out there who will love him for him. I feel like by chapter 559 Naruto started to show that he's been developing feelings for Hinata. He cheers her up when she's being hard on herself and thinks back to when Hinata rushed to his aid during his battle with Pain. I feel like in this instance he was admiring Hinata's inner strength and bravery (there's even an implication that he's previously been thinking about the confession off panel).

Long post haha, I've had a feeling Naruhina was going to be endgame since the "proud failure" speech (the cover of volume 64 only reaffirmed this feeling), however I'm just trying not to be biased.

The best way not to be biased is to let the evidence guide your views, or rather, don't have a conclusion that isn't based on evidence. I say this because when one's position is the factually accurate one, then the biased/unbiased aspect disappears, because your position is now just a fact that has to be accepted. Of course this is just from my experience with learning, debating and studying entirely different subjects of course. Things like Politics for example are based on ideologies that are not meant to be based on fact but rather on preferences, hence why being biased towards one ideology can heavily influence how they see reality (often negatively, from a factual standpoint). So I often see a person when trying to be unbiased, rather than let the evidence guide their judgments, they instead give two opposing positions equal weight, when in reality, they do not have equal weight, and one of them is often the correct one. In other words, giving them equal weight just distorts the issue even further. In this case, being unbiased by looking at both sides equally, gives NaruSaku more weight than it actually does. But looking at both independently, separate from each other, often gives a clearer perspective, again, if you're letting evidence and reasonable interpretation being the foundation.

And using that, from what I can tell, Naruto's crush, never became more than a crush because he never liked her to begin with for reasons that were beyond superficial. I feel that Naruto loving Sakura beyond a superficial crush due to the fact that they were close friends sort of...lessens their bond. Meaning it implies the only reason why he cared for Sakura's safety was because he loved her, not because she was his teammate, like Sasuke was. When I watch old episodes, and early Shippuuden, Naruto himself never gives any reasons or indications that his crush developed beyond superficial. Her being his teammate, and them be close good friends (although that took awhile) are separate from his feelings for her. The only reason why it may SEEM like his love for her is an actual love beyond infatuation may be because Naruto's never had any actual love to compare it to. Because if them being together and being comrades were reason enough for love, then Naruto could very well fall in love with Ino, or TenTen (regardless of the fact that they have less screen time with Naruto, he still considers them comrades) so it forces us to wonder what makes Naruto like Sakura, and we are never given reasons beyond the reasons he had a crush on her in part I. Meaning it never became more than superficial.

When we consider that, we can now look to NaruHina's side, and realize that Hinata's Confession would have immediately altered Naruto's feelings in favor of her because A: he did say he likes people like her, B: has helped him in ways Sakura hasn't (getting him out of his depression before his fight with Neji) and C: she shares his Nindo, and has always been nice to him. This means that since Naruto knows Sakura loves Sasuke, and his love for her isn't "true love" then there is no barrier preventing Hinata's confession from drawing him towards her. He doesn't have rational reasons to evaluate in the first place when it comes to his feelings for Sakura because if he stopped loving her, then their relationship wouldn't change in the slightest, hence he has no downside whatsoever for dropping his feelings for Sakura (assuming he still had them before the confession). After Hinata's confession, Naruto stops going after Sakura. No date requests, and when Sakura hugs him, he's simply surprised. Wouldn't you be surprised if a friend hugged you, even if you had no feelings for them? Especially since no one really hugs you? And same goes for Sakura's False confession. If a girl confessed her love for you, I'm sure you'd be shocked. But if you actually still had or had feelings for her, then your reaction would be different, and stronger wouldn't you say?

Based on this we can say that Naruto's reaction to her confession (and him referring to it as "something like that" when he thought it was a joke she would come all the way there just for "something like that." indicates that Naruto's feelings for Sakura had already faded. Now the trigger for that could simply be time; he's had enough time being rejected that his feelings simply faded, or Hinata's confession acted as the catalyst. They do say that the best way to get over a girl is to find another one after all.

Alasteir


Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Mustang on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:37 am

^well to be honest there isn't much left to say, I think it has really been covered by Alasteir and Aelita. this is amazing, what else can be pointed out that already hasn't been explained?

_________________
the endgame pairing was there ever any doubt
avatar
Mustang


Posts : 2141
Gender : Male
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Aelita on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 am

^I said I was trying to be unbiased because I've noticed that many NH fans claim Naruto's feelings to be a superficial childhood crush as a means to brush them off and make NS seem less of a threat. However I've always felt that was a little insulting to Naruto as it implies that he lacks the maturity to form non-superficial feelings for a girl, especially for a girl he's known for a long time and has gotten to know on a non-superficial basis. Saying he only had a crush on her implies that he didn't know her well, idolized her and liked her for simply being pretty.

Naruto's feelings for Sakura did start out as a crush. In chapter 3 he introduces her as the cute girl he kinda liked. By the end of the chapter its revealed that he liked her because he related to her desire to be acknowledged (despite it being from another boy). No other reasons are ever given for Naruto liking Sakura in the manga.
At the same time, the only reasons Sakura ever gave for liking Sasuke was that he was handsome and cool, back in her crush-stage at the beginning of the manga. She never gives any other reason for liking/loving him. Despite not knowing any solid reasons for why she liked/loves Sasuke, most of us know that Sakura's feelings for Sasuke grew into something more mature through her interactions with him. Sakura got to know him as a person, she saw him at his best and worst. She started to view Sasuke as a human being, not the idolized perfect super cool Sasuke.
I feel the same principle holds true for Naruto. Because they were comrades and close friends, he got the chance to develop actual feelings for her. While I don't think Naruto has ever been in love with Sakura at the same magnitude that Sakura loved Sasuke or Hinata loves Naruto, because his feelings for her were never portrayed as intensely (Naruto himself has never said that he's in love with Sakura). I do think he had some strong feelings for her as evidence of how hurt he looks whenever it is brought up that Sakura's in love with someone else. When I first saw those panels in part 1 from the hospital scene and the PoAL and saw how he was trying to mask how hurt he felt made me think "damn, he really did care about her, poor guy". I feel like if it were a simple crush it wouldn't have affected him as much. Also if his feelings for her were always just a crush, they probably wouldn't have lingered as long. If it were a plain crush it would have have fully faded away long before Sakura made her fake confession. And they did linger that long, based on Sai's flashback and his expression when he first heard Sakura's "confession". I do think Hinata's confession had some effect on him and may have acted as a catalyst, but I don't think it was the main factor for Naruto's fading feelings for Sakura (as I've said before).

Ugh, I almost sounds like I'm trying to defend NS, I'm not I promise lol.
avatar
Aelita


Posts : 377
Gender : Female
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Alasteir on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 am

Aelita wrote:^I said I was trying to be unbiased because I've noticed that many NH fans claim Naruto's feelings to be a superficial childhood crush as a means to brush them off and make NS seem less of a threat. However I've always felt that was a little insulting to Naruto as it implies that he lacks the maturity to form non-superficial feelings for a girl, especially for a girl he's known for a long time and has gotten to know on a non-superficial basis. Saying he only had a crush on her implies that he didn't know her well, idolized her and liked her for simply being pretty.

Naruto's feelings for Sakura did start out as a crush. In chapter 3 he introduces her as the cute girl he kinda liked. By the end of the chapter its revealed that he liked her because he related to her desire to be acknowledged (despite it being from another boy). No other reasons are ever given for Naruto liking Sakura in the manga.
At the same time, the only reasons Sakura ever gave for liking Sasuke was that he was handsome and cool, back in her crush-stage at the beginning of the manga. She never gives any other reason for liking/loving him. Despite not knowing any solid reasons for why she liked/loves Sasuke, most of us know that Sakura's feelings for Sasuke grew into something more mature through her interactions with him. Sakura got to know him as a person, she saw him at his best and worst. She started to view Sasuke as a human being, not the idolized perfect super cool Sasuke.
I feel the same principle holds true for Naruto. Because they were comrades and close friends, he got the chance to develop actual feelings for her. While I don't think Naruto has ever been in love with Sakura at the same magnitude that Sakura loved Sasuke or Hinata loves Naruto, because his feelings for her were never portrayed as intensely (Naruto himself has never said that he's in love with Sakura). I do think he had some strong feelings for her as evidence of how hurt he looks whenever it is brought up that Sakura's in love with someone else. When I first saw those panels in part 1 from the hospital scene and the PoAL and saw how he was trying to mask how hurt he felt made me think "damn, he really did care about her, poor guy". I feel like if it were a simple crush it wouldn't have affected him as much. Also if his feelings for her were always just a crush, they probably wouldn't have lingered as long. If it were a plain crush it would have have fully faded away long before Sakura made her fake confession. And they did linger that long, based on Sai's flashback and his expression when he first heard Sakura's "confession". I do think Hinata's confession had some effect on him and may have acted as a catalyst, but I don't think it was the main factor for Naruto's fading feelings for Sakura (as I've said before).

Ugh, I almost sounds like I'm trying to defend NS, I'm not I promise lol.

I know you're not I'm just saying a crush isn't just a light feeling. The feelings a person has for some under a crush are usually more intense (there are physical symptoms associated with it) than love. As a person grows and matures, the feelings of love are not as intense as they were when they first fell in love, but they are strong for other reasons. What I said is that, when we look at how Naruto acts around Sakura, he does a LOT of ignoring, when it comes to Sasuke. Like when Sasuke and Naruto first came at each other at the top of the hospital. Naruto just told Sakura to not get in the way. And his expression when he heard Sakura's confession was that of surprise. I feel that if he had feelings for her at that point it would be something stronger than what anyone would do in that situation. Like a clear big blush. But Naruto brushed off the whole thing as a joke before he said she was lying to herself. When it comes to Sakura's feelings for Sasuke, she did, unlike Naruto have positive feedback to strengthen her love for him (how her hug turned off the Curse Mark) and how Sasuke thanked Sakura when she confessed, and of course their interactions with each other during part I. When you compare that with Naruto's feelings for Sakura, he only got rejection or no feedback at all. This could explain why Sakura still loves Sasuke as he never rejected her, while Naruto was rejected.

Naruto's feelings for Sakura were always played as light-hearted and not serious, and this is promoted by the fact that Naruto, especially as he matures throughout part II, never gives much time to Sakura in his thoughts. He shows little to no physical attraction, except during comedy moments in which he asks her out, and his feelings for her are never given time. So it honestly feels that the only reason why his feelings never faded during the time skip was because he had no reason not to drop them so to speak. He was still immature. But when Hinata confessed, he got a dose of what actual love is like, and thus matured because of it, and from my point of view, explains why he stopped "chasing" her. Because he finally realized that A: His feelings for her weren't real, or rational. Whichever you prefer, and B: She'll always love Sasuke, and there's no wishful thinking on his part of wanting to be with her with that second realization. Which aren't indicative of feelings for her. Meaning, there's no indication that he's bothered by the fact that the girl he loves won't ever fall for him and he'll never get her. That's a horrible feeling to have, and Naruto's acceptance of Sakura's love for Sasuke primarily shows indifference, like he doesn't care that Sakura loves Sasuke. He even said he wants to bring back Sasuke for more personal reasons than because of the promise of a lifetime.

In other words, if he still had feelings for Sakura at the time of her false confession, he would have been sad at the thought that she'll always love Sasuke, or that she loves Sasuke, because that means he can't have her. But that's not what he felt. His expression and his words show more of an indifference on his part.

Alasteir


Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Aelita on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:05 am

I agree that for the most part Naruto feelings for Sakura are portrayed in a light-hearted way. But keep in mind that romance makes up about 5% of Naruto's character in general (that's lumping together both Sakura and Hinata lol). After all, you could say that he ignored Hinata's confession too since he hasn't given a response to her yet. Romance in general is overlooked for other matters when it comes to Naruto. Let's be real, the reason romance takes up so much of the girls' character is because they're girls (the women in Naruto tend to be defined by their men, oh Kishi...).

And l'd need a more of an explanation for Sakura's feelings for Sasuke (the chance that he might return her feelings isn't a strong enough reason for being so in love with him that she's willing to put up with all that has happened) but that's another topic for another day lol. Besides Sasuke would reject Sakura's explicitly romantic advances just like Sakura would reject Naruto's. And Sakura did gradually treat Naruto nicer throughout part I (even if it were with the assistance of Sasuke) just as Sasuke treated Sakura well (the curse mark receding and the "thank you" can be viewed as platonic as Sasuke has never been explicitly romantic with Sakura but he did learn to view her as a precious comrade, as Sakura did to Naruto) so I don't think that's a strong enough reason to discredit Naruto's feelings.

Acceptance that the one you have feelings for is interested in some doesn't automatically mean indifference as much as it means maturity. I've been through it myself, just because you accept the one you like wants someone else doesn't make your feelings automatically go away. They can still linger around despite knowing that a relationship is impossible. You just learn to deal with suppressing those feelings until they eventually fade. And that's what Naruto had been doing up to Sakura's false confession. Suppressing his lingering feelings, and learning to be ok with Sakura being in love with Sasuke. He's always wanted to bring Sasuke back for personal reasons. Its just the Promise of a Liftime was added on top of that and Sakura made the mistake of assuming that her promise was the main reason Naruto was so hell-bent on bringing Sasuke home.

And he did react to the confession, he did blush (loads of blush would have given a more comical tone which would have been inappropriate for the circumstance) Its not just the cold (like marks on his nose indicating redness) as the blush marks on his cheeks fade soon after. His wide eyes and gaped open mouth don't indicate anything negative, just shock and a 'wow, no way!' kind of disbelief. It's something that he's probably fantasized about hearing from Sakura for a long time. Part of him wanted to believe it were true. Its only after he pauses to think about it for a minute that his expression starts to change.

Spoiler:


He remembers how in love Sakura is with Sasuke so it wouldn't make sense for her to abruptly fall in love with him. Because of that it sounded like she were playing with his feelings which is why he says that if she's joking around, it isn't funny. The more Sakura went on, the more annoyed and angry Naruto became with Sakura because the ingenuity of her confession came off as her toying with him. After Sakura insists that she's being serious Naruto comes to the conclusion that she's lying to herself as he knows that she really loves Sasuke If Naruto really had zero feelings for Sakura at all up until the confession, he wouldn't had become as angry as he did. There wouldn't have been feelings to play with in the first place. If Naruto had reacted with sadness, it would have indicated that he was still incapable of moving on. Since he didn't react with sadness, but rather anger, It shows that its not that he didn't/doesn't have feelings for Sakura, but rather recognizes something isn't right and is mature enough to stand up about it. By the next chapter Naruto shows that he's fully accepted that Sakura loves Sasuke and can say it without even flinching. The "confession" forced Naruto to re-examine the prospect of a future relationship with Sakura. It revealed that the only way Sakura and Naruto could be in a relationship, was if it were based on a lie since Sakura would always been in love with Sasuke. Sakura had seen Naruto at his best and at his worst yet still wasn't in love with him and this fake confession made it seem like she probably never truly would. And because of this, Naruto had to realize that they simply weren't meant to be with each other and allowed himself to let go of any remaining lingering feelings he held. Its because allowed himself to let go of those remaining lingering feelings for Sakura during the fake confession that he was able to explore and develop new feelings for Hinata during the War Arc. It allowed closure for one relationship and allowed another to blossom.
avatar
Aelita


Posts : 377
Gender : Female
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Alasteir on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:19 am

Aelita wrote:I agree that for the most part Naruto feelings for Sakura are portrayed in a light-hearted way. But keep in mind that romance makes up about 5% of Naruto's character in general (that's lumping together both Sakura and Hinata lol). After all, you could say that he ignored Hinata's confession too since he hasn't given a response to her yet. Romance in general is overlooked for other matters when it comes to Naruto. Let's be real, the reason romance takes up so much of the girls' character is because they're girls (the women in Naruto tend to be defined by their men, oh Kishi...).

And l'd need a more of an explanation for Sakura's feelings for Sasuke (the chance that he might return her feelings isn't a strong enough reason for being so in love with him that she's willing to put up with all that has happened) but that's another topic for another day lol. Besides Sasuke would reject Sakura's explicitly romantic advances just like Sakura would reject Naruto's. And Sakura did gradually treat Naruto nicer throughout part I (even if it were with the assistance of Sasuke) just as Sasuke treated Sakura well (the curse mark receding and the "thank you" can be viewed as platonic as Sasuke has never been explicitly romantic with Sakura but he did learn to view her as a precious comrade, as Sakura did to Naruto) so I don't think that's a strong enough reason to discredit Naruto's feelings.

Acceptance that the one you have feelings for is interested in some doesn't automatically mean indifference as much as it means maturity. I've been through it myself, just because you accept the one you like wants someone else doesn't make your feelings automatically go away. They can still linger around despite knowing that a relationship is impossible. You just learn to deal with suppressing those feelings until they eventually fade. And that's what Naruto had been doing up to Sakura's false confession. Suppressing his lingering feelings, and learning to be ok with Sakura being in love with Sasuke. He's always wanted to bring Sasuke back for personal reasons. Its just the Promise of a Liftime was added on top of that and Sakura made the mistake of assuming that her promise was the main reason Naruto was so hell-bent on bringing Sasuke home.

And he did react to the confession, he did blush (loads of blush would have given a more comical tone which would have been inappropriate for the circumstance) Its not just the cold (like marks on his nose indicating redness) as the blush marks on his cheeks fade soon after. His wide eyes and gaped open mouth don't indicate anything negative, just shock and a 'wow, no way!' kind of disbelief. It's something that he's probably fantasized about hearing from Sakura for a long time. Part of him wanted to believe it were true. Its only after he pauses to think about it for a minute that his expression starts to change.

Spoiler:


He remembers how in love Sakura is with Sasuke so it wouldn't make sense for her to abruptly fall in love with him. Because of that it sounded like she were playing with his feelings which is why he says that if she's joking around, it isn't funny. The more Sakura went on, the more annoyed and angry Naruto became with Sakura because the ingenuity of her confession came off as her toying with him. After Sakura insists that she's being serious Naruto comes to the conclusion that she's lying to herself as he knows that she really loves Sasuke If Naruto really had zero feelings for Sakura at all up until the confession, he wouldn't had become as angry as he did. There wouldn't have been feelings to play with in the first place. If Naruto had reacted with sadness, it would have indicated that he was still incapable of moving on. Since he didn't react with sadness, but rather anger, It shows that its not that he didn't/doesn't have feelings for Sakura, but rather recognizes something isn't right and is mature enough to stand up about it. By the next chapter Naruto shows that he's fully accepted that Sakura loves Sasuke and can say it without even flinching. The "confession" forced Naruto to re-examine the prospect of a future relationship with Sakura. It revealed that the only way Sakura and Naruto could be in a relationship, was if it were based on a lie since Sakura would always been in love with Sasuke. Sakura had seen Naruto at his best and at his worst yet still wasn't in love with him and this fake confession made it seem like she probably never truly would. And because of this, Naruto had to realize that they simply weren't meant to be with each other and allowed himself to let go of any remaining lingering feelings he held. Its because allowed himself to let go of those remaining lingering feelings for Sakura during the fake confession that he was able to explore and develop new feelings for Hinata during the War Arc. It allowed closure for one relationship and allowed another to blossom.

Excellent rebuttal. I'll admit, I can't really refute much of what was said, except the part that Sasuke would reject Sakura in the way Sakura rejects Naruto, as he never did. Sasuke knew Sakura loved him, and he never really rejected it as Sakura does with Naruto. When it comes to why she's still in love with him despite everything he did is because she believes his revenge has overcome him, and probably believed he could be reached somewhere. In other words she held on to the Sasuke she knew back during the Chuunin Exams. And if we look at 632, arguably they went back right to where they left off.

Although I will also add that Sasuke's feelings are too ambiguous to say if he felt something for her or if it was purely platonic.

Alasteir


Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Aelita on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:26 am

Nah, Sasuke did reject Sakura's date offers. He wouldn't punch her like Sakura does to Naruto, but it would often come off as comical lol. Its just that since Sauce isn't around much Sakura didn't get to make as many date requests as Naruto has made in the manga lol. But rejection didn't make Sakura's feelings fade.

Spoiler:



And believing that Sasuke could be reached somewhere may explain why Sakura continued to love him, but it doesn't answer the core reason why she fell in love him in the first place. What did she see in Sasuke that made her fall so in love with him that she's willing to put up with all the insanity and stress required in bringing him home? We're never given a reason. All we know is that Sakura's serious about being in love with him through how she acts.

I agree with the ambiguity of Sasuke's words, but because his character has shown a general disinterest in romance, it makes more sense to me that his words meant that he truly appreciated everything Sakura had done for him.
avatar
Aelita


Posts : 377
Gender : Female
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Alasteir on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:40 am

It never stated. Sakura just one day ran up to the other girls her age and said she's in love. It's unknown if they had a moment offscreen or she just fell in love based on a first sight sort of deal. All we know is that during their time Sasuke has been receptive towards Sakura's feelings for him. From the Forest of Death moments to when they fought Gaara and Sasuke wanting to protect her, Sasuke may have rejected her at first, but starting from the forest of death Sasuke wasn't as he was before. Especially with them keeping the Curse Mark a secret from Naruto.

The difference between Sakura and Naruto is that Sasuke eventually stopped rejecting her and his actions became ambiguous from that point on, and he, like you said, appreciated everything she's done for him, which unlike Naruto, her rejection of Naruto has never stopped.

It would really depend on future chapters. If we're given a reason why Sakura explicitly fell in love with Sasuke, or rather why it matured the way it did, then it'll make more sense. Naruto's feelings for Sakura, however, were never given much importance. When does his feelings for her begin, and considering her as a teammate end? I ask that because look at what he's willing to do for Sasuke despite there being no romantic context there. He had reasons for doing that much for Sasuke, but the point is is that it was completely platonic. So it does become more of an issue of how much he cared about Sakura as a teammate versus how big his feelings were for her. He never had any feedback, and in several circumstances he's done things that show him to be ignorant of how she feels. Like on the hospital roof top. He doesn't consider how she feels, but instead tells her to not interfere.

Point being is that Sakura's feelings were clear to Sasuke and his actions became ambiguous, rather than what happened with Sakura and Naruto where regardless of how great Naruto became, she never stopped rejecting him.

Although I will mention, that if Naruto's feelings were still strong post Pain, he would have at least smiled with Sakura hugging him after the fight wouldn't you say? When I keep thinking about it, it is hard to tell how Naruto felt about Sakura during her false confession because he never gave any clear signs. We would have to distinguish how Naruto would act if another girl confessed to him, in the setting they were in (and not in the heat of battle). Although you make good points on how he felt during her false confession, the way he acted when she physically embraced him was rather interesting, which makes it all the more confusing.

Let's not forget that Sakura was also given a normal background, so her feelings and reasons for holding those feelings would be very different than Naruto, who had a tragic background. So just because of that it is hard to parallel their actions and feelings.

Alasteir


Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Aelita on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:06 am

I'm not saying his feelings were as strong as the once were by the Pein Arc. In my opinion, they had been slowly, gradually fading with Naruto's acceptance of Sakura's love for Sasuke. But that doesn't mean that his feelings didn't linger, that they weren't there and that they didn't affect him. If Naruto had absolutely no feelings for Sakura, the false confession wouldn't have hurt and angered him like it did. I believe the hug from Sakura was meant to be platonic from her side. Naruto's lack of response was from him still being in shock from all the love, attention and recognition he was receiving from the villagers. It had been one of his life long goals after all and it was a lot to take in all at once. Remember, the villagers loathed him just a few years ago. And beyond the hug, Naruto being acknowledged by the villagers was the larger theme of 450 (that everybody seems to forget lol).

The whole SS comparison was just to show how a character can have strong feelings for someone without out giving a solid reason to why and despite faced with previous rejection, if the interaction is there. Based on the reaction Naruto would have when Sakura's feelings for Sasuke were presented, it made me realize he did feel beyond a childhood crush for her (despite it not being love) and made me sympathize with him. Because romance makes up very little of Naruto's character we don't see those feelings often, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. It's the same in regards to his developing feelings for Hinata in the war Arc, we only get to see them every so often but we know they're there.

I have my own issues with SS, but I won't get off topic hahaha. I totally agree with you though, Sakura's and Sasuke's relationship developed during the Chunnin Exams and Sand Invasion Arc (though romantic intent has always been ambiguous on Sasuke's side). I brought it up because I wanted to point out that while Sasuke did warm up to Sakura, he did initially reject Sakura and despite that initial rejection Sakura's feelings persisted. Sakura does reject Naruto's romantic advances, but she has warmed up to him, treats him kindly and holds respect for him. Their close friendship probably didn't make it easier for Naruto to let go of his lingering feelings despite being rejected numerous times before. Rejection may have reinforced that a relationship was impossible, but as I've said before, it doesn't make your feelings disappear right away.

(The Hospital scene is more or an example of a problem in the team 7 dynamic than just Naruto and Sakura's relationship. Where Naruto, Sauce and Kakashi have this tendency to underestimate, over-shelter, and leave out Sakura and treat her like a delicate little flower--this issue even cropped up in 631 but Sakura addressed it--, but gah, that's another topic for another day haha)

I should stop here haha but good debate =)
avatar
Aelita


Posts : 377
Gender : Female
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Alasteir on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:25 am

Aelita wrote:I'm not saying his feelings were as strong as the once were by the Pein Arc. In my opinion, they had been slowly, gradually fading with Naruto's acceptance of Sakura's love for Sasuke. But that doesn't mean that his feelings didn't linger, that they weren't there and that they didn't affect him. If Naruto had absolutely no feelings for Sakura, the false confession wouldn't have hurt and angered him like it did. I believe the hug from Sakura was meant to be platonic from her side. Naruto's lack of response was from him still being in shock from all the love, attention and recognition he was receiving from the villagers. It had been one of his life long goals after all and it was a lot to take in all at once. Remember, the villagers loathed him just a few years ago. And beyond the hug, Naruto being acknowledged by the villagers was the larger theme of 450 (that everybody seems to forget lol).

The whole SS comparison was just to show how a character can have strong feelings for someone without out giving a solid reason to why and despite faced with previous rejection, if the interaction is there. Based on the reaction Naruto would have when Sakura's feelings for Sasuke were presented, it made me realize he did feel beyond a childhood crush for her (despite it not being love) and made me sympathize with him. Because romance makes up very little of Naruto's character we don't see those feelings often, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. It's the same in regards to his developing feelings for Hinata in the war Arc, we only get to see them every so often but we know they're there.

I have my own issues with SS, but I won't get off topic hahaha. I totally agree with you though, Sakura's and Sasuke's relationship developed during the Chunnin Exams and Sand Invasion Arc (though romantic intent has always been ambiguous on Sasuke's side). I brought it up because I wanted to point out that while Sasuke did warm up to Sakura, he did initially reject Sakura and despite that initial rejection Sakura's feelings persisted. Sakura does reject Naruto's romantic advances, but she has warmed up to him, treats him kindly and holds respect for him. Their close friendship probably didn't make it easier for Naruto to let go of his lingering feelings despite being rejected numerous times before. Rejection may have reinforced that a relationship was impossible, but as I've said before, it doesn't make your feelings disappear right away.

(The Hospital scene is more or an example of a problem in the team 7 dynamic than just Naruto and Sakura's relationship. Where Naruto, Sauce and Kakashi have this tendency to underestimate, over-shelter, and leave out Sakura and treat her like a delicate little flower--this issue even cropped up in 631 but Sakura addressed it--, but gah, that's another topic for another day haha)

I should stop here haha but good debate =)

Indeed, quite the mental exercise. I do have my rebuttal, although more in agreement in most of what you said, I'll decide to respect your desire to discontinue this. :D.

Alasteir


Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by lily567 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 am

he is indeed re evaluating his feelings because if you look at when he was answering his mother about friends you will notice that hinata and sakura are back to back. now why would kishi put those two back to back? hmm...
avatar
lily567


Posts : 1440
Gender : Female
Location : barbados

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Mustang on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:14 am

lily567 wrote:he is indeed re evaluating his feelings because if you look at when he was answering his mother about friends you will notice that hinata and sakura are back to back. now why would kishi put those two back to back? hmm...

But the time for re-evaluating has passed, that time when he asked his mother how she fell in love with his father was about finding the answer about what love was. after finding the answer we soon start to find that Naruto has moved on from Sakura (if not earlier) and sort of moved towards Hinata ultimately. Hinata was indeed front and center with Sakura, but I think we will find now Hinata really standing front and center on her own without Sakura and her standing back to back

_________________
the endgame pairing was there ever any doubt
avatar
Mustang


Posts : 2141
Gender : Male
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by lily567 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 am

51-mustang wrote:
lily567 wrote:he is indeed re evaluating his feelings because if you look at when he was answering his mother about friends you will notice that hinata and sakura are back to back. now why would kishi put those two back to back? hmm...

But the time for re-evaluating has passed, that time when he asked his mother how she fell in love with his father was about finding the answer about what love was. after finding the answer we soon start to find that Naruto has moved on from Sakura (if not earlier) and sort of moved towards Hinata ultimately. Hinata was indeed front and center with Sakura, but I think we will find now Hinata really standing front and center on her own without Sakura and her standing back to back

hmm.. good point:happiness:
avatar
lily567


Posts : 1440
Gender : Female
Location : barbados

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by lily567 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 am

we will have to wait and see how it plays out

_________________


avatar
lily567


Posts : 1440
Gender : Female
Location : barbados

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Mustang on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:33 am

lily567 wrote:we will have to wait and see how it plays out

You might want to be careful with double posting mate, if you want to add something to what you said previously, you can always use the edit link at the top right hand corner of you comments section.

Yes we will have to wait and see what happens. as some people have pointed out NaruHina is a positive pairing, so whatever happens will most likely be in a positive light.

_________________
the endgame pairing was there ever any doubt
avatar
Mustang


Posts : 2141
Gender : Male
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Yamasaki Akaiko on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:05 am

lily567 wrote:he is indeed re evaluating his feelings because if you look at when he was answering his mother about friends you will notice that hinata and sakura are back to back. now why would kishi put those two back to back? hmm...

I tend to agree with this. I don't think Naruto had made a decision just based on talking to his mother. If he had, I think he would've said it in chapter 505. I think he's making his decision "now" based on what's going on in the war though.
avatar
Yamasaki Akaiko


Posts : 925
Gender : Female
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by lily567 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:22 am

51-mustang wrote:
lily567 wrote:we will have to wait and see how it plays out

You might want to be careful with double posting mate, if you want to add something to what you said previously, you can always use the edit link at the top right hand corner of you comments section.

Yes we will have to wait and see what happens. as some people have pointed out NaruHina is a positive pairing, so whatever happens will most likely be in a positive light.

sorry about that
avatar
lily567


Posts : 1440
Gender : Female
Location : barbados

Back to top Go down

Re: Naruto's feelings

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum